Bloom Session 8
In this session, we will learn how to create a leveled reader in Bloom. The data files for this session are found in the Reader zip folder.
Choose a Collection
- The main window appears. Click Other Collections. The Open/Create Collection dialog box appears.
- Select the English Books collection. The main window reappears.
Create a book
- In the Sources for New Books pane, select the Leveled Reader template.
- Click Make a book using this source.
- This template has a tool for setting the levels for a book. In the Leveled Reader Tool pane, click Set up Levels. The Set up Leveled Reader Tool dialog box appears On the left hand side, a level summary table is given. On the right hand side, we can see the rules for a given level.
- Now we want to define each level according to our rules. Note that they are six levels preliminary defined. We will want to change them.
- Select Level 1. Set the Maximum Words in each Sentence to 3. Set the Maximum Word in each Page to 3. Set the Maximum Words per Book to 20. If desired, we could set the Maximum Unique Words per Book to a number.
- Now we want to define level 2. Select Level 2. Set the Maximum Words in each Sentence to 5. Set the Maximum Word in each Page to 6. Set the Maximum Words per Book to 40. Set the Maximum Unique Words per Book to 20.
- Now we want to define level 3. Select Level 3. Set the Maximum Words in each Sentence to 6. Set the Maximum Word in each Page to 10. Set the Maximum Words per Book to 60. Set the Maximum Unique Words per Book to 30.
- Now we want to define the other levels using the same basic steps we used for Level 1 and 2 and 3. Have the participants do the rest of levels on their own.
- We can remove a level by clicking the level and clicking Remove Level.
We can change the order of the levels by draging the rows.
We can add a level by clicking Add Level.
If we do not want a rule to apply to a given level, we uncheck the appropriate box.
We can put notes to the author in theThings to remember for this level textbox.
- After all levels have been defined, we are ready to create our reader. Click OK.
- Note you are now ready to create your reader for a level 1 reader. If you want to create a reader for another level, change the level number by click the adjacent arrows.
In the Front Cover page, enter a title (e.g. Dick and Jane) for the book and insert a picture from the Art of Reading collection.
Click Add Page and select Basic Text & Picture and then click Add New Page. In the new page, insert a picture of a boy from the Art of Reading collection and enter some text (e.g. See Dick run.). Change the font size of the text by clicking the Gear icon. What happens when you add the following sentence, See Sam run. Why?
Click Add Page and select Basic Text & Picture and then click Add New Page. In the new page, insert a picture of a girl from the Art of Reading collection and enter some text (e.g. See Jane run). What happens if you add fast to the sentence? Why? What happens if you add the following sentence, Mom sees Jane running. Why?
- Show Keep in mind and explain.
- Create a Level 2 reader of four pages.
- Create a Level 3 reader of six pages.