Keyman Developer Tutorial
Create New Project
This session we will create a keyboard project for the Dagbani language of Ghana. We will call the project DagbaniTutorial. We will create the project based upon the basic keyboard
Create project from basic keyboard
1. Start Keyman Developer.
2. In the Project menu, click New Project.
3. Click Basic, then click OK.
4. In the New Basic Keyboard Project dialog box, do the following
- In the Keyboard Name box, enter DagbaniTutorial. Normally we would enter the language name.
- In the Author box, enter Me. Normally we would enter our name.
- In the Copyright box, enter MyOrg. Normally we would enter the name of our organization or our own name.
- In the Full copyright box, enter 2022 MyOrg. Normally we would enter the current year and the name of our organization or our own name
- In the Version box, we will accept the default, since this is the first keyboard.
- In the Targets box, set any. In this way it can work for all devices.
- In the Languages box, add the BCP 47 Tag of the desired language to the list. In our case we will add dag (Dagbani) to the list.
The dialog box should appear as below.
- Then click OK.
5. In the Project - Information dialog box, Click Keyboards. The Project – Keyboards dialog box appears, as below.
6. Then click dagbanitutorial.kmn. The Details page appears, as below.
Click the Save icon to save our work. The project has been created.
7. We may want to change the size of the character font to meet our viewing needs. In the View menu, click on the Character Font. The Character Font dialog box appears. Make whatever changes we desire. Then click OK. This impacts the font that is used in the testing box.
8. We may want to change the size of the code font to meet our viewing needs. In the View menu, click on the Code Font. The Font dialog box appears. Make whatever changes we desire. Then click OK. This impacts the font that is used in the Keycoding box.
9. Click Layout. The Layout page appears. Note that we see all this code that came from the US keyboard. In the next session, we will need to modify this code for Dagbani language.
10. To exit the program, in the File menu, click Exit.