- Is able to start Windows 7/8
- Is able to start an application
- Knows what the desktop is.
- Is able to protect the computer from viruses
- Is able to use the Control Panel
Learning Tasks :
Discuss how to take care of their computer.
- Start windows. Have the participants watch.
- Anti-virus software - Verify everyone is running something. Below are acceptable
- Window Defender (Windows 8)
- Microsoft Security Essential (Windows 7)
- Windows desktop
- To create a folder on the desktop, right-click on desktop, point to New and click Folder. Create a shortcut folder name i-DELTA
- To create a shortcut on the desktop, right-click on desktop, point to New and click Shortcut. Create a shortcut to Notepad.
- To pin an application to the taskbar, right-click on the application and select Pin to Taskbar. Pin Notepad to taskbar.
- Copy course folder from the flash drive to the desktop.
- Start Menu/Start Page
- Control Panel
- In the Control Panel, view by small icons.
- In the Control Panel, click Personalization. Click Change desktop icons. Set Computer, User’s Files, Recycle Bin, Control Panel. Click OK.,To set you wallpaper, click Desktop Background. Select a color. Click Save changes. Check the files to be deleted and click Clean up system files. To set up your screen saver, click Screen Saver. Select 3D-Text. Click Settings and make desired changes. Click OK. To check your screen saver, click Preview. When done, click Apply.
- To delete unnecessary files on your hard drive, click Computer and go to your hard drive in File Explorer. Right-click on hard drive and click Properties. Then in the General tab, click Disk Cleanup.
- To connect to a projector, Click .
- In the Control Panel, click Date and Time. This is where you would set up your clock. Verify that you are set to Nairobi time zone.
- In the Control Panel, click Devices and Printers. This is where you would add printers to your computer.
- In the Control Panel, click Folder Options, click View tab. Reset Hide extensions for known file types.
- In the Control Panel, click Power Options. Click Choose when to turn off the display. Choose desired options. Click Save Changes. Click Choose what closing the lid does. Choose desired options. Click Save Changes.
- To create system repair disc, in the Control Panel, click Backup and Restore. Click Create a system repair disc to refresh or reset your PC, or to trouble shoot problems, even when it can’t restart. (Windows 7) In the Control Panel, click Recovery. Click Create a recovery drive to create recovery drive to refresh or reset your PC, or to trouble shoot problems, even when it can’t restart. (Windows 8)
Have the participants do what you did in the Content section.
Have the participants do the following exercises.
- Create shortcut to MS Word and to MS Powerpoint on your desktop.
- Move the course folder to the i-DELTA folder.
- Change your screen saver.
- Create a system repair disc / recovery drive.