Note: Logos may be installed without an Internet connection - except for a brief connection for activation.
See Low Bandwidth Installation and Updates for detailed instructions on installing Logos with a poor Internet connection.
Configure or turn off Internet updates
While Logos likes to use the Internet, it is not required except when activating the software. If you are paying per megabyte, you can turn off Internet use in Logos Program settings. Go to Tools > Program Settings, then look for the Internet section midway down the page.
Install or update Logos resources without an Internet connection
Resources may be copied from any computer that has Logos installed and up-to-date. The resources are found in a directory like this example, but the red text will be different on your machine:
- Copy the LS4 files to a flash drive.
- Plug the flash drive into the target computer.
- Start Logos
- In the Command box, type:
Scan E:(Replace E: with the letter and folder of your flash drive.)
- Wait a while and you should get a “(1) Preparing Library” Icon near the Layout button. After a while, the updated resources will be available.
As Logos already knows which resources the user has purchased, it will only update the ones that they can access.
Choose what you see when you open Logos
- Tools -> Program Settings -> At startup, open to:
- Blank layout
- Most recent layout
- Saved layout.
Watch training videos
- General Logos videos: Open the library and type "Quickstart" in the search bar. Under Media Collection you should see QuickStart for Logos7 , QuickStart for Logos8 and QuickStart for Logos (refers to Logos 6). Open the set for the version of Logos you have. You can browse the list of videos by clicking the < and > buttons to see the next or previous one in the list, and click the triangle in the video to play.
- Videos about TW Logos: https://vimeo.com/channels/twlogos
Save text layouts and return to them
- Organize windows the way you want to work. Then click Layouts on the top right and select Save as named layout.
- When starting, return to a recent layout from the same layouts menu, or select a named layout.
Make a window float outside of layout
- Right click on a tab. Choose “Open in a floating window”. You can set up on a separate monitor how you like it.
Create a Comparison window similar to text collection in Paratext
- Click on Tools -> Text comparison
- Set which Bibles you want to use.
- Drag them up and down to change the order
- Choose horizontal or vertical layout (rows or columns)
- Turn on highlight differences
- Click on tabs to the right of your list of Bibles in Text comparison to compare the Bibles in your list and to highlight differences.
Power Lookup Tool
- Power Lookup is a small window on the side that opens up all of the embedded links for you in your text so that you don’t have to hover over them all to see what is inside them. Just turn it on and it will change according to the context.
Prioritizing your favorite English, Greek and Hebrew resources will ensure that the resources you refer to most often will be listed first when you click on a data type reference link.
- Right-click on a resource title and choose Prioritize this resource from the context menu. If the resource is part of a series, you will also have the option to Prioritize this series.) This will open the Prioritize pane.
- Change the preferred order by dragging resources up or down in the pane.
- Remove a resource by right-clicking on it and choosing Remove from this list.
You can create a collection of resources that contain just those that are helpful for translation and call them Translation Resources. One way to find all the TW resources is to search by license:Temporary on the Collection page.
- Is like a research assistant that will search your resources for available information. But the guide is very busy looking up all stuff by default. Hint: collapse all the sections. All movement will stop and then you can open only the section that you want information from.
- Excellent place to see all of the commentary resources on a particular passage, or specify the collection of resources that you made earlier in the settings for the commentary section.
- Exegetical guide: word by word. Grammatical instructions. Passage Guides and Exegetical guides are similar in how they work put retrieve different kinds of data. No long complicated expressions needed. They retrieve the information about the current verse.
Scrolling with Paratext
- Set Logos resources to link set A and the resources in Paratext scroll group A to scroll with Paratext. Access the link set for a resource by clicking on it tab. Also turn on sync with external tools in Paratext. Logos can also be made to scroll with BART.
Making TW in Logos look more like TW in Folio Views
- Search for and find the TW Menu
- Open the window, then drag and drop it on the top bar for fast access.
Logos on multiple devices
- If you have a license you can use Logos on all your various devices.
You can incorporate materials that you author into Logos
- Incorporating personal materials into your library. Tools/personal books/ add book
How to type in Greek or Hebrew?
- You can type Greek in any search or command box by beginning with “g: “
- You can type Hebrew in any search or command box by beginning with “h: “
You won't see Greek or Hebrew characters in what you type, but you'll see Greek or Hebrew in the search results.