Monday, February 9
Note: LO = Learning Objective
Session 1: Introduction and Overview
Introductions of participants
- Where do you go to solve problems and get help?
- What are your concerns about having computers running Windows, Linux and MacOS in your entity?
Session 2-3: Language Software Review
LO: The participants will know which software to use for a given language development task.
Language Software Overview 2015 presentation
Discuss AFA LT Personnel and Skills smartsheet.
Identified Language Technology software usage In non-Francophone Africa
Session 4: Growth Plan
LO: The participant will know how to fill out the growth plan.
LO: The participants will fill out a growth plan for themselves
Discuss what is a growth plan.
The instructor goes through each growth plan focusing on how it is to be filled out.
Each participant will fill out his growth plan.
Each participant will sign up for a time slot to have his growth plan reviewed by an instructor.
Session 5: LT Podcast
Tuesday, February 10
At the end of these seven sessions participants will be able to
- perform the top 100 skills in the current version of Paratext
- use the Biblical Terms tool to adapt proper names
- insert a Bible module containing the Advent lectionary readings
- use the Transcelerator tool to translate testing questions for a short passage
- use the Project progress tool to report on progress of a project and check the health of the project
- investigate some new features coming in Paratext 7.6
- try out the top 10 new skills in Paratext 7.6
Session 1: Paratext 7.5
- Perform the top 100 skills in the current version of Paratext (identifying the 22 changes). Paratext EN 7.5 PowerPoint
- Top 100 Paratext Skills Excel spreadsheet
Session 2: Paratext 7.5
- Report to the group the skills which have changed.
Session 3: Paratext 7.5
- Using the Biblical terms tool, adapt proper names.
Session 4: Teaching a Workshop
Plan a workshop for the coming year and fill out the Workshop Planning Form. Submit the completed form to your instructor.
Session 5: Rapid Word Collection
LO: The participants will know the reason for having a RWC workshop.
LO: The participants will know the benefits of having a RWC workshop
LO: The participants will know the prerequisites of a RWC workshop.
LO: The participants will know what roles are required for RWC workshop.
LO: The participants will know the basic process of RWC.
RWC Overview presentation
RWC Handout (questions to answer and then reviewed)
Wednesday, February 11
Session 1: Paratext 7.5
- Insert a Bible module.
Session 2: Paratext 7.5
- Use the Transcelerator add-in to translate the testing questions for a short passage.
Session 3: Paratext 7.6
- Use the Project progress tools to report on the progress of a project and check the health of the project.
- Investigate some new features of Paratext 7.6
Session 4: HearThis
LO: The participants will know how to record a Scripture passage from a paratext project.
LO: The participants will know how to create an audio file of their recordings.
Demonstrated how to use HearThis to create an audio file of a scripture passage.
The participants created an audio file of a scripture passage using HearThis.
Session 4: Language Forge
LO: The participants will understand the purpose of language forge web site
A demo of Language Forge is given.
Session 5: Assignment
Create an audio file from Matthew 4:1-11 from a Paratext project..
Thursday, February 12
Session 1: Paratext 7.6
- Try out top 10 new feaures in Paratext 7.6
- Schedule send/receive
- View and fix reference icons/errors
- Insert cross-references from GNT
- Change view in text collections
- View invallid characters in the text (also Biblial terms)
- Insert spelling note
- Run Wordlist spell checks
- Find/Replace in verse text only
- Run RegexPal from the advanced menu.
- Spell check by morphology.
Session 2-3: Bloom
LO: The participants will know how to create a basic book using Bloom.
LO: The participants will know how to publish a basic book using Bloom.
LO: The participants will know to create a shell book using Bloom.
LO: The participants will know how to create a leveled reader using Bloom
A video presentation is given which gives an overview of the Bloom computer program.
A video presentation is given which shows how to produce a basic book.
The participants generated a basic book using the Bloom software.
The instructor demonstrated how to generate a shell book using the Bloom software. Then the participants produced a shell book.
The instructor demonstrated how to generate a leveled reader.
Session 4: PrimerPro
LO: The participants will know how to create a new PrimerPro project
LO: The participants will know how to setup a Grapheme Inventorory
LO: The participants will know how to import a word list and text data
LO: The participants will know to create a recommended teaching order
PrimerPro Setup Training Video
Session 5: Assignment
Create a shell book in English from the Lost Coin story (see Lost Coin folder) in the LTCT Shell Books Collection. Make a bloom pack from this collection. Create book of the Lost Coin story using the shell book just created in another language of your choice and published it as a PDF file. Submit the PDF file to the instructor.
Friday, February 13
Session 1: Adapt it
Using the Adapt It training program found on http://tiki.lingtransoft.info/A6+Getting+Started?structure=Navmenu
- Setup an Adapt It project.
- Setup Paratext collaboration.
Session 2: Adapt It
Using the Adapt It training program found on http://tiki.lingtransoft.info/A6+Adapt-It+Basics?structure=Navmenu
- Adapt a short text using the basic Adapt It skills.
- Edit the knowledgebase as needed.
Session 3: Adapt It
Using the Adapt It training program found on http://tiki.lingtransoft.info/A6+Back+Translation?structure=Navmenu
- Add a free translation (as back translation).
- Export the interlinear text.
- Edit the source text, target text and free translation in their appropriate applications.
- Time didn't permit, investigate some trouble-shooting such as restoring knowledgebase, consistency checks.
Session 4: Scripture App Builder
LO: The participants will understand the basic procedure for building a Scripture App for Android
Discussed the purpose of Scripture App Builder
Gave an overview of the Scripture App Builder
Demonstrated the process for building an app
The participants built an app.
Session 4: Scripture Forge
LO: The participants will know what Scripture Forge is
Scripture Forge is a web site that enables communities to participate in the Scripture checking process. Scripture Forge provides a community feedback mechanism to help your team test their scripture drafts for comprehension and readability.
A demo of the web site using a test project was given.
Session 5: Preparing FLEx 8 module
Instructions were given on how to prepare to teach a FLEx module.
Saturday, February 14
Session 1-3: Preparing FLEx 8 module
The participants prepared to teach their assigned FLEx modules.
The FLEX 8 sessions will be taught by the participants.
Monday, February 16
Session 1: FLEx 8 - Lexicon Edit 1
LO: To be able to add entries.
LO: To be able to find entries.
LO: To be able to merge entries.
LO: To be able to use the help facility.
Session 2-3: FLEx 8 - Lexicon Edit 2
LO: To be able to work with lists.
LO: To be able to add and edit affixes.
LO: To be able to add and edit variants.
LO: To be able to add and edit complex forms
Session 4: Regular Expressions
- Participants will revise the RegEx alphabet.
- Participants will identify (and apply) several common RegEx on MDF dictionary databases.
Regular Expressions V2 PowerPoint
Session 5: Assignment
- Write several RegEx to cleanup after a dictionary conversion, in particular remove unnecessary punctuation and reorder fields as necessary.
Tuesday, February 17
Session 1: FLEx 8 - Browse
LO: To be able to select columns to be displayed.
LO: To be able to sort columns.
LO: To be able to filter entry rows.
Session 2: FLEx 8 - Project Management
LO: To be able to change the properties of a project.
LO: To be able to create a new project.
LO: To be able to backup and restore a project.
Session 3: FLEx 8 - LexiconEdit 3
LO: To be able to add a pronunciation to an entry.
LO: To be able to add an example sentences to an entry.
LO: To be able to add a pictures to an entry.
LO: To be able to add a link to an entry.
LO: To be able to add a lexical relation to an entry.
LO; To be able to create a custom field.
Session 4: Unicode Conversion
At the end of the sessions, participants will be able to
- Install the SIL Converters 4.0 and their branch tec files.
- Install additional .tec or .map converters
- Convert a Word file to Unicode.
- Convert a LibreOffice file to Unicode.
Session 5: Assignment
- Identify one of several files that need to be converted to Unicode.
- Install the .tec and font files corresponding to that file.
- Convert the file to Unicode.
Wednesday, February 18
Session 1: FLEx 8 - Bulk Edit and Word Collection
LO; To be able to use the Bulk Edit facility to make global changes to the lexicon.
LO: To be able to add words to the lexicon using semantic domains
Session 2-3: FLEx 8 - Interlinearization
LO: To be able to add text to be interlinearized.
LO: To be able to interlinearize text
Session 4: WeSay
LO: The participants will know how to create and configure a WeSay project.
LO: The participant will know how to build a word list using the SIL Comparative African Word List (SIL CAWL) in WeSay.
LO: The participant will know how to build a word list using Semantic Domains in WeSay.
LO: The participant will know how to do collaboration in WeSay.
The participants discussed the pros and cons of WeSay.
The participants created a WeSay project using the WeSay configuration tool.
The participants built a wordlist in the WeSay project using SIL CAWL and Semantic Domain features of WeSay..
The participants (in pairs) added to the wordlist in the WeSay project using the collaboration feature of WeSay
Session 5: Webonary
LO: The participants will know how to upload a dictionary to webonary web site.
The presenter demos the web site.
The presenter shows the participants how to upload a dictionary.
Some participants uploaded a dictionary to the webonary site. .
Thursday, February 19
Session 1: FLEx 8
LO: To be able to use the parser for parsing words.
LO: To be able to use the word analysis feature
LO: To be able to use the Concordance
Session 2-3: FLEx 8
LO: To show how to do collaboration between two FieldWorks project on separate PCs.
LO: To show how to do collaboration between a FieldWorks lexicon and a WeSay project
Session 4: DBL
- Observe the process of preparing and submitting a Paratext project to the DBL.
- Perform the Paratext checks to prepare the project
- Observe the process of REAPing metadata.
- Prepare the canon for the project.
Session 5: DBL (cont)
- Search the DBL for scriptures already submitted on behalf of your branch.
- Access scriptures on YouVersion.
- Be able to answer questions from members of your branch on what is the DBL.
Friday, February 20
Session 1: LSDev Prioritization Process
LO: The participants will have basic understanding of the LSDev prioritization process
LSDev has a new system for prioritizing their software development projects. The process is discussed. The Round 3 results are discussed
The Strategic Value Drivers of the process s presented and explained.
The process of prioritizing the proposals is explained as the presenter experienced it.
The template for submitting proposals is presented
A Cog promotion video is presented.
Session 2: Assignments Review
The four assignments were discussed.
Session 3: Evalution & Debrief
LTCT 2015 picture presentation
Thanks to participants and stafff